Monday, November 02, 2015

Training Recap - 10/26 through 11/01

Week 2 without a plan, enjoying running shorter right now. Initially I kept up with the Myrtls, but other strengthening fell by the wayside. I ran just over 26 miles, which is perfect.

Monday: 4 miles on trails, 11:05 pace, Saucony Kinvara 5 + Myrtl + Core
Is it possible that I'm still not recovered from that 18-week training and the half-marathon? I guess so. On Saturday's run, I felt like the effort was too high for the temps and the pace, and I felt similarly Monday night. Usually when I do this loop, I run for an hour and do whatever within that hour. I decided to cut it short when I hit 4 near the trailhead. Effort seemed too high for what I was running.

Afterward, I made sure to do my Myrtl exercises and some planks, and I'm calling that core work. Baby steps.

Tuesday: 3 miles dog running! Saucony Zealot (blue) + Myrtl
I took out a lovely little 3-year-old Pomeranian/Sheltie mix on Tuesday night. We covered just over 3 miles in 40 minutes. While there were plenty of stops (he pooped three times and peed more than that), we were going at a nice clip. He's a sweet dog who kept looking back for me, likes to jump and spin and really just wants to hang out. It was fun. Later that night, I did my Myrtls and some light stretching.

Wednesday: 5 miles, 10:08 pace, Saucony Kinvara 5 + Myrtl
I really am going to be sad when these 5s are done. Wednesday group run was an easy-paced 5-miler. I'm still feeling tired. Negative-split the first and second half, but the third mile (with the turnaround) ruined a complete negative split (and at 10:22, is what put the pace over 10).

Thursday: birthday! 3 miles, 8:53 pace, Newton Distance III + Myrtl
We had dinner plans, so I only had time for a few miles. As I was running, I decided to consider this as a time trial in preparation for Home Run for the Homeless. Negative splits (9:12, 8:57, 8:29). I know I just posted about a plan for Home Run, but I'm looking at a very structured 2016 and I'm thinking less structure might be better. The idea is to push the pace weekly on a short 3-miler.

Also, these are a new pair of Distance IIIs. They're 8.5s and they're perfect. I loved my old pair, but they were just slightly too small.

Friday: rest
I thought about doing something, but we need to get the house ready for visitors. Plus, Fridays off are my jam.

Saturday: 8 miles, 9:57 pace, Saucony Kinvara 5
I ran by feel and eased into the run. I backed off and let my friends run ahead because I didn't want to be faster than a 10-minute pace. Second half done without looking at my watch was faster than the first, so that's always nice. Finished strong

Sunday: 3.1 miles, dog running with Tag, Saucony Zealot blue
Gorgeous fall day so after I got done with work (baby fair), Aaron and I headed to the shelter to get in a few miles. I had Tag who was pretty great. Sweet and energetic. I think these Zealots are getting close to retirement.

Upcoming week:
Not sure what the plan is going to be. I'm roughly following a McMillan intermediate maintenance plan until half-marathon training starts up again in January. In the early part of the maintenance plan, the runs are all easy; then we move into a couple of workouts per week. I, however, would still like to include a hard 3-miler each week to test progress, although Saturday's race might be my effort run for the week.

McMillan is a mindshift since the plan uses minutes instead of mileage, and obviously I think in terms of miles (I'd like to hit 30 miles this week.) I'm going to give it a shot, though. I joined the McMillan RunClub to test it out. The plans are nice, and there looks to be a really strong community establishing. (That would have been really helpful with Hansons; they should add something like that.) The weather looks good this week, so I don't expect I'll make it back to the gym even with it being dark after work. In any case, back to six days a week!
  • Monday: run 50-60 minutes
  • Tuesday: run 40-60 minutes
  • Wednesday: run 60-75 minutes (group run)
  • Thursday: run 40-60 minutes (dog run)
  • Friday: rest
  • Saturday: Munroe Falls Trail Race (4.4 miles)
    -->should be long run, 90-105 minutes
  • Sunday: run 50-60 minutes

No comments: