Monday, July 20, 2015

Weekly Recap: Week 5 of Half-Marathon Training with Hansons

I had plans on Thursday, so I had to move some things around this week. I switched Tuesday and Thursday's speedwork to Monday and Wednesday, and then I switched Monday and Thursday's easy runs so I had fewer miles on Thursday. Then I ended up switching Saturday and Sunday so I could run long with Aaron on Sunday.

ANYHOW. This week was 40 miles *and* took me to 100 miles for July. I am feeling okay. Most runs start out with my calves feeling very tight, but they eventually loosen up. My calves are constantly feeling achy and twitchy though. Another thing is just how TIRED I am. I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.

Monday: 8 miles, 5 1000k repeats (8:33, 8:24, 8:41, 8:37, 8:40), Saucony Kinvara 6
Target: 5x1000m repeats at 8:21 to 8:42 with 600m rest (8 miles total)
I knew going into this workout that I was going to struggle. The repeats were long, and my last two speed workouts were on the treadmill and didn't go that well. But I did it, and I hit the repeats (although some consistency there would have been nice!). Last week, I told my coach that I had struggled and walked some/a lot during the recovery portions, and she really encouraged me to run the recoveries, even if they're almost as slow as walking them. I jogged the first three recoveries entirely, but during te last two, I did walk for about 30 seconds at the beginning of each one. Worse, there was some walking during my cooldown. All in all, I'm not too disappointed in myself. I just wish it were easier :)

Tuesday: 5 miles, 10:37 pace, Saucony Zealots
Target: 5 miles, easy
Nothing really to talk about here. Just an easy run with Aaron. I never really felt great -- my calves were pretty tight, breathing seemed a little more labored than it should have been.

Wednesday: 7 miles, 4 at 9:05 average, Saucony Kinvara 5
Target: 7 miles with 4 at half-marathon pace (9:09)
That pace run was tough. I may have psyched myself out a little, too. I didn't feel great going into the run, and the 1.5-mile warmup was sluggish. But I went for it. Miles 1 and 2 were 9:04 and 9:05, but Mile 3 was 9:17 (!). I recovered and brought the average back with an 8:54 Mile 4. Overall, the pace run portion was 9:05 average. Next week, I need to hold it together for Mile 3 better.

Thursday: 4 miles, 10:13 pace, Saucony Zealots
Target: 4 miles, easy
After work, I quickly got in 4 miles before beer school. I felt surprisingly good given the pace run the evening before.

Friday: sweet, glorious rest

Saturday: 6 miles, 10:30 pace, Saucony Zealots (new pair)
Target: 6 miles, easy
Normally I do my long runs on Saturdays, but Aaron had to work so I switched 'em up. I started at 9, and it was already around 80 degrees. I took it pretty easy and felt okay. I added in some strides in the last mile just to see if my legs could turn over a little more quickly.

Sunday: 10 miles, 10:39 pace, Saucony Zealots (blue)
Target: 10 miles, easy
I would have liked to see a pace a little quicker, but it was hot and humid (already 80 degrees by our 8am -- well, closer to 8:30! -- start time). This was a rare positive split run, but I was SOAKED afterward.

No comments: