Monday, July 13, 2015

Weekly Recap: Week 4 of Half-Marathon Training with Hansons

Cumulative fatigue is real. I'm a month into the Hanson's plan, and I feel okay -- but by Friday, I am *so ready* for that rest day.

I ended up with a little over 36.5 miles for the week, and I mostly felt pretty good. I did have some issues with my calves being really tight, so I'm trying to pay extra attention to both calves (not just the cranky right one -- which feels weird today). I've been really good about doing my post-run routine, which includes an abbreviated version of the Myrtl routine and foam-rolling. I'm also thinking about scheduling a massage with a new therapist (the one I love has hours that don't work for me, plus I think she's going back to school and won't be practicing nearly as much).

Monday: 5 miles, 10:17 pace, Saucony Zealot, 80s & 70% humidity
Target: 5 miles, easy (10:10 to 11:52)
I contemplated swapping Monday's 5 for Wednesday's 4 so that I could run a little longer with the group on Wednesday and recover better from Sunday's trail run. If I'd ended up on the treadmill, I'm guessing it would have been 4, but luckily I was able to miss the rain. It was warm (car said 87 degrees, but I don't think it as that warm where I ran) and humid, but I had a nice, natural negative split.

Tuesday: 7.5 miles with 6 800meter repeats (8:34 to 8:41), 1:20, Saucony Kinvara 5
Target: 7.5 miles with speedwork 6x800s (8:21 to 8:42 pace) with 400 recovery
The treadmill, again. Ugh. I managed to do the repeats at pace, but then ended up walking a decent amount of the recoveries. Part of the issue is that, on the treadmill, I'm choosing my paces. It's trickier to just slow way down and then speed up naturally. (Excuses!) I talked with my coach (ha!) about it, and she really emphasized that I should be jogging the recoveries, while acknowledging that walking is better than stopping. Next week, I pledge to do better!

Wednesday: 4 miles with the hill, 10:20 pace, Saucony Zealots
Target: 4 miles, easy (10:10 to 11:52)
The Hansons plan does not include specific hill work because you are not supposed to be avoiding hills (read: I should be doing more runs in my neighborhood since it's hilly!). With that in mind and the fact that I only had 4 miles on the schedule, I decided to do Brecksville Reservation hill. I had a nice run, kept it relatively easy and reined in the pace on the last two miles, keeping them around 10. The only concern is how this hill run might affect Thursday's pace run...

Thursday: 6 miles, 3 at 9:08, 9:04, 8:48, Saucony Kinvara 6
Target: 6 miles with three at half-marathon pace (9:09)
I am amazed I pulled this out. Not as nice as last week's, but still: All under 9:09 with a negative split. I felt pretty tired, but I managed to push through and resisted stopping. My calves were really tight during the warmup and cooldown.

Friday: rest!
Target: rest
I love my rest days.

Saturday: 8 miles, 10:28 pace, Saucony Zealots
Target: 8 miles, easy (10:10 to 11:52)
Saturday's group run always spreads out, but I had company for my full 8 miles with a friend and her baby. I took it easy and was pretty consistent. I felt just fine.

Sunday: 6 miles, 10:36 pace, Saucony Kinvara 5
Target: 6 miles, easy (10:10 to 11:52)
Aaron and I ran in Kent on the Portage Hike & Bike trail for our final run of the week. I felt pretty good actually and was very happy with our pace.

This week, I'm switching some things up since we have plans Thursday night:

  • Monday: 5x1000m repeats (8:21 to 8:42 pace) with 600m rest
  • Tuesday: 5 miles, easy
  • Wednesday: 7 miles with 4 at half-marathon pace (9:09)
  • Thursday or Friday: 4 miles, easy / rest
  • Saturday: 10 miles
  • Sunday: 6 miles

No comments: