Monday, July 06, 2015

Weekly Recap: Week 3 of Half-Marathon Training with Hansons

Week 3 is done! I hit the pace run well, and I sort of hit the workout (although it was altered somewhat). I ended up with just short of 35 miles, and I'm feeling okay. The Friday rest days are welcomed though!

Monday: 4.15 TM miles, 10:32 pace, Saucony Kinvara 5 coral (dead) + strength
Target: 4 miles, easy (10:10 to 11:52)
I wanted to do some strength-training, so I just went to the gym for the easy 4-miler. Nothing much to speak of -- I did some upper body weights and then ran easy on the treadmill. I need to recalibrate my footpod because it's off by over a tenth again.

Tuesday: 7.25 TM miles, 8x600 repeats (average 8:30), Saucony Kinvara 5 white
Target: 7 miles with speedwork 8x600s (8:21 to 8:42 pace) with 400 recovery
More details here, but I'll consider this a relative success. The treadmill forced me to hit the paces, but I'm not really ready for the paces, so I ended up walking the recovery (which I also shortened).

Wednesday: 5 miles, 10:24 pace, Saucony Zealots
Target: 5 miles, easy (10:10 to 11:52)
Just an easy group run.

Thursday: 6 miles with 3 at HM pace, Saucony Kinvara 6
Target: 6 miles with three at half-marathon pace (9:09)
I was worried about this workout. I started my 1.5-mile warmup and felt pretty dead. I was running around an 11-minute pace maybe, and I didn't see how I could drop the pace to 9. Actually this ended up a really good run: 9:07, 8:58, 8:45 -- boom.

Friday: rest
Target: rest

Saturday: 7.1 miles, 10:25 pace, Saucony Zealot
Target: 7 miles, easy (10:10 to 11:52)
Nothing much to speak about here. Last mile was under 10 (accidentally). I ran with a friend (and was probably holding her back), and I saw a lot of other people we knew out there. During mile 6, I stopped to walk for a minute or two with a former training group participant so that we could catch up a bit.

Sunday: 5.4 miles, trail, 13+ pace, Saucony Peregrine
Target: 5 miles, easy (10:10 to 11:52)
Trail-running for "easy" runs is a little tricky (not to mention doing this after Saturday's beers). I tried to really take it easy, not pushing even when I knew I could. It was a beautiful morning. 

No comments: