Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Review: Girls in White Dresses

Girls in White DressesGirls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was all nostalgia. It easily reminded me of my 20s and early 30s, and I identified with many of the characters -- or more precisely with the relationships. That said, I think there were too many characters and I just didn't feel like I developed any sort of relationship with most of them. Some felt like they were brought in weirdly, and it was hard to keep track of them.

There was one thing that really bugged me: the non-specific references to pop culture. The girl who was dating the guy who worked for the Obama campaign (see? can't remember names at all) kept calling Obama "the Candidate," and there were also references to television shows like "The Biggest Loser." It felt very generic. Specificity is important.

All in all, this is a super-quick read (great for a flight), especially if you experienced a similar college experience.

View all my reviews

No comments: