Thursday, December 20, 2012

Review: What Happened to Sophie Wilder

What Happened to Sophie Wilder
What Happened to Sophie Wilder by Christopher R. Beha

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

If I'm not reading books about journalists and missing girls, it seems I'm reading them about writers and manic pixie dream girls. To be blunt, I didn't care for Sophie (TOTAL MPDG) and the religious angle didn't work for me. The storytelling did work for the first half of the book, but as it dealt more with Sophie's conversion and her faith, I found myself less interested -- and unable to understand her motivations or why anyone would be so interested in her. (I am not remotely religious and following the rules that a bunch of men made up for me isn't an option.) That said, I finished it fairly quickly because I liked Charlie well enough and I was interested in the story.

The book shifts from the past to the present and between Charlie and Sophie as narrators. It was predictable and easy to follow. One thing I find interesting is the title: When I first started reading it, I read it as a question; later on, it became a statement.

View all my reviews

No comments: