Tuesday, December 18, 2012

MPDG

If I'm not reading books about journalists and missing girls, it seems I'm reading them about writers and manic pixie dream girls. I wonder what that means. My latest book (What Happened to Sophie Wilder?) seems to be getting into some religious discussion, which is a twist -- although I think it's common for MPDGs to quirkily (I'm making up words now) search for the meaning of life and whatnot.

I know I've seen Eternal Sunshine..., but I don't really remember it. The Wikipedia article offers this quote from Kate Winslet's character who rejects the MPDG kind of label: "Too many guys think I'm a concept, or I complete them, or I'm gonna make them alive. But I'm just a fucked-up girl who's lookin' for my own peace of mind; don't assign me yours." That line makes me want to revisit that movie. (And the obvious next question: Is it on Netflix streaming? Yes, it is -- and it's now added.)

I want to try audio books for treadmilling. The library has those "playaways" that sound interesting. They're little pre-loaded players. That sounds more doable than downloading an audio book and then uploading it to an Apple device (especially since the ones I use at the gym are not internet-connected). Off to find a playaway at my library!

No comments: