Sunday, June 10, 2012

Jim Klett 10k

Yesterday was my second 10K. I was really hoping for under an hour, but that didn't happen. It was hot and hilly, and I just didn't feel it, I guess.

For whatever reason, the first couple of miles were really tough. My calves felt like they were rock-solid. Luckily, they smoothed out as the race continued.

It was a really nice course. And a very small race. I sincerely was concerned about finishing last. The official results aren't up yet, so I don't know my official finishing time. According to my Garmin, it was about a minute PR. Not sub-hour I was hoping for. Aaron came in firmly under an hour, though!

I should have realized that this would not be a course PR on. But I'm too lazy to look at the course map beforehand.

While Aaron worked on the van, I went out this morning to the trails near Aaron's dad's house. That puts me about 24 miles for the week, maybe 25. A lot of that on trails with varying technical difficulty.

I even got in another 15 to 20 minutes or so of strength training this morning. Something is better than nothing, right? June's goals are going okay. Unfortunately, this week is going to be a little short on tempo, speed or hell runs. But that's okay. I'm moving in the right direction.

I also have some thoughts on the way I approach races, but right now they're still thoughts. I'm not ready to write them down yet. It's all about me not being a professional and it being okay for races to be more like training runs then PR-making endeavors. I'm not very competitive, and that's not in the world.

In other news, I'm glad I have running to keep my thoughts straight. There's some shit going down, and it's sad. I love my family, and I love my friends. I am very, very lucky to have each and every one of them in my life.

No comments: