Thursday, February 16, 2012

Another night, another new beer

After running group last night, we needed dinner, and I was in the mood for a beer. Off to the Winking Lizard, of course. In Peninsula because the Macedonia one is lame.

Anyhow, the glass of the month appealed to me immediately. I misread it and thought it was $6.25; it was actually $9.75 with the glass. Oops - and I ordered one for me and Aaron. Oh well.


But what was this mystery brew, you ask? It was a Belgian IPA from Leyerth Breweries called Urthel Hop-It. At 9.5%, it's no slouch in the alcohol department, but I didn't think the alcohol was overwhelming. Belgian IPAs seem to be rather rare - Flying Dog's Raging Bitch is the only one I can think of right now - but I really like them. Both IPAs and Belgians tend to have citrus flavors, so I think they marry well.


I should have taken a picture when it was first poured. This glass was designed for this beer - lots of room for a foamy head. The IPA side of things makes the beer really clean and crisp, but Belgian (which is really a rather arbitrary description of anything) gives it depth and balances out the hops and bitterness. I wonder if this is really bitter to people who don't drink IPAs on a regular basis? I bet so.

Looks like IBUs are 180, which is really high. I must like bitter beers because I didn't find this bitter at all - went down really, really easily. I finished mine before Aaron, actually. I think the balance of other flavors must mellow out the bitterness.

And how cute is this glass? Good thing I have two of them now :)


All in all, I really liked this beer and will pick up some if I see it in the store.

P.S. OMG, I just found this blog: The Belgian Beer Odyssey. Adding to Google Reader right.now.

No comments: