Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Chorizo-Stuffed Peppers

What do you do when friends give you a bunch of peppers? You stuff 'em!

Ingredients:
5 links of locally produced turkey chorizo
4 Hungarian hot or sweet peppers (not sure)
1/2 red pepper
1/2 green pepper
3 jalapenos
handful of parmesan
handful of bread crumbs
1 egg
black pepper (several grinds)
garlic (teaspoon or so, minced)

Directions:
Slice peppers in half, except for the jalapenos. Remove the seeds and the ribs. Hopefully the Hungarian peppers are not too curly. For the jalapenos, cut off the top and use a paring knife to remove the ribs and seeds from inside. (Afterthough: I could have added the seeds to the sausage mixture.)

Take the chorizo out of the casings. Add the parm, bread crumbs, egg, garlic and pepper; mix with your hands because it's stupid to use a spoon. Some fresh or dried herbs could be nice, but this chorizo is unknown to me so I didn't want to overseason.

(A smart cook would have taken a tiny bit of the chorizo and fried it up in the pan to test its seasonings. THEN that very smart cook would have make the stuffing and then tested it again. I am not smart, so I winged it.)

Get out a glass baking dish and lightly oil the bottom. Start stuffing the peppers. Make meatballs out of the leftover stuffing. I put plastic wrap over the dish and stored the peppers in the fridge for the next night's dinner.

When it's time to cook, preheat the over to 425 degrees. Then find yourself some tomato sauce (homemade is better, but not necessary; if I were making the sauce specifically for this dish, I would use a jalapeno in the sauce to make it spicy) and shredded cheese (a freshly shredded mix of mozz, provolone and parm/romano/asiago would be nice, but use whatever you have). Heat sauce in a pan (maybe add some crushed red pepper). Sprinkle cheese over peppers (a nice layer, like you would layer a pizza).

BTW, if I were doing this all in one night, I would add some sauce to the bottom of the baking dish, then layer the stuffed peppers, then add sauce on top, then the cheese, and then bake. But since I split this up, I would just bake them off with a spoonful of sauce on each pepper. I would serve a side of sauce at the table because a spoonful of sauce is never going to be enough for me! Also have extra sprinkle cheese and crushed red pepper.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes. You should be able to tell when it's about done. Remove foil and turn broiler for 5 or 10 minutes to brown the cheese. Mmmm... carmelized cheese.

Disclaimer: I am not a very good cook, and I just know what I like and what works for me. I take the easy way out A LOT. That said, I've seen recipes that call for cooking the sausage beforehand, but that's unnecessary (and results in overcooking the meat and/or undercooking the peppers). Copy recipe at your own risk!

And note to self: If I'm going to type up recipes, I should probably start measuring stuff.

No comments: