Thursday, July 07, 2011

Chewing is optional, right?

My mileage is going up, up, up! I'm excited about that, but so sad to see my speed going down, down, down. Let's face it: I was never fast, but this is ridiculous. Part of it's in my head (stupid, lazy head) and part of it is probably fuel/hydration. So I'm going to make a concerted effort to make sure I'm hydrated (I'm fairly good at this already) and that I'm fueling up enough before runs. Eating half a granola bar 2.5 hours before running 5 miles probably isn't adequate. And I probably didn't hydrate enough for 5 miles in 90-degree temps either. So there you have it.

After the run last night, we sampled some mid-run fuel - you know, jelly beans and blocks and the like. If you know me at all, you probably know that I don't like anything gummy. This could be an issue. The taste is fine, it's a texture thing. So on Sunday's long run (8 miles!), I'm going to try a gel (talk about a texture problem). Hopefully that'll work because popping blocks without chewing might cause a problem.

No comments: