Monday, September 21, 2015

Weekly Recap: Week 14 of Half-Marathon Training with Hansons

This was the hardest week so far. Nearly 51 miles. I am generally tired, and my legs are fatigued (and sometimes actually sore). Just a few more weeks...

I really hope I hold up.

Monday: 5 miles, 10:22 pace, Newton Fate
Target: 5, easy
I mentioned earlier that I was sick of out-and-back routes, but sometimes I just can't figure out where else to run. I don't like running in my neighborhood, so I just hit the Bike & Hike near work. Not much to say about the run. I felt okay and had negative splits (starting 10:40, ending with 9:47). My legs are starting to feel like they're breaking down. I've been reading how ice inhibits your body's ability to adapt to the stress of training, but ice baths are starting to sound like a good idea.

Tuesday: 10 miles with two sets of 3 miles at 8:50 and 9:17, Saucony Kinvara 5
Target: 10 miles with 2x3M repeats at 8:45
Well, that was disappointing. I don't exactly know why I failed, but I did. Previously I decided 8:50 for the first set and 8:45 for the second. I ran with a friend, and that helped. I struggled to hit the first set and then couldn't even maintain half-marathon goal pace for the second, which is VERY discouraging. I'm not going to stress about it because I knew this would be a tough workout. I probably got in my head a bit. Honestly, this week's pace run is WAY more important.

Wednesday: 5 miles, 10:00 pace, demo Mizuno Sayanaro 3
Target: 5, easy
The 10-minute pace is a little misleading as this was during the monthly pub run, and there was a lot of stop-and-go. I am really starting to enjoy the easy miles. I demo'd a pair of Sayanaros, and I wasn't a fan. The shoe was kind of hot, I didn't like the fit and it was like there was too much heel and not enough forefoot cushioning. I'm still vaguely interested in the 2, but there's no point in that.

Thursday: 10 miles with 7 at 9:11, Saucony Kinvara 5
Target: 10 miles with 7 at 9:09
I don't even care that I was off-pace! I've had three 6-mile pace runs, and I've hit exactly one of 'em, so to do 7 close to pace is a win. I had plans to meet a friend for part of his run, and he met up with me on the last half-mile of my pace miles (and I was struggling and way off pace). Of the 7 miles, two were off-pace -- 9:19 and 9:21 -- so pretty bad, but I'm not going to let it get me down. After work, 80+ degrees and sleepy... And dare I say I'm looking forward to trying again?

Friday: rest
I was looking forward to this day all week.

Saturday: 14.1 miles, 11:05 pace, Saucony Zealot (pink)
Target: 14 miles
My legs are just BEAT. My first 4 miles were solo and rough. I met up with the group and I only had to run about a mile solo. THANK GOD. This was a struggle, although the last 5 miles were at least under 11-minute pace at least. I had a Clif recovery drink (made with coffee and almond milk) waiting in the car, and then I took a sorta-ice bath when I got home (cold water and one sad single tray of ice) and then spent time stretching, rolling and Myrtl-ing.

Sunday: 6.75 miles, 11:07 pace, Newton Fate
Target: 6 miles, easy
Accidentally went long while trying a new route from the house. The ankle pain I've been having on-and-off is back, so I iced afterward with the Polar Cube (and also later in my normal way).

Upcoming week:
  • Monday: 10 miles with 3x2M at 10k pace
  • Tuesday: 7 miles, easy
  • Wednesday: 10 miles with 7 at HM pace
  • Thursday: 6 miles, easy
  • Friday: rest
  • Saturday: 10 miles, long
  • Sunday: 5 miles, easy

No comments: