Sunday, August 30, 2015

Weekly Recap: Week 11 of Half-Marathon Training with Hansons

I'm doing a good job at recapping this training cycle. I wonder if it will be useful, if I ever will review it. Moving on...

45+ miles, overall 10:15 pace (felt a little more lively this week, I guess) and two workouts hit and one long run. Feeling pretty good, and although I'm nervous about next week, I'm maybe looking forward to it, just a little bit (but the warmer temps are scheduled to return, so that concerns me some.

Monday: 5 miles, 11:51 pace, Newton Fate
Target: 5 miles, easy 
I'm getting my schedule back to Fridays off so there'll be seven days (which includes three workouts and one long run) before Friday's rest day. I decided to get this easy run done before work to maximize the rest time before Tuesday's workout. I felt okay, just tired. It was dark, there was a loose dog (stopping and walking for that only explains the slow pace for the first mile).

Tuesday: 10.25 miles with 6 repeats: 8:42, 8:37, 8:42, 8:43, 8:42, 8:39 (8:41 average), Saucony Kinvara 6
Target: 10.5 miles with 6x1 mile at 10k pace with 400m jog rest
So this workout went well. My goal was 8:45, and while I would have liked to see negative splits there, I really can't complain. Like most workouts, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to hit the pace for all six miles, but I did. I had company for the run too, so that was nice. I was back at the trailhead at 10.25 miles, so I cut off a quarter of the cooldown. I took a gel right before the fourth repeat, and it seems ridiculous to need to fuel during midweek runs, but I guess that's my life now.

Also, so scared about Thursday's workout!

Wednesday: 6.1 miles, 9:58 pace, Saucony Zealot
Target: 6 miles, easy
For our weekly group run, we gathered our friends in Kent for a run around campus. It ended up being a little quicker than it should have, but I felt pretty decent, although I was a little concerned that the faster pace may not have adequately recovered me for Thursday's pace run. Oh, the mystery!

Thursday: 9 miles with 6 miles at 9:01 pace, Newton Distance III
Target: 9 miles with 6 at half-marathon pace
And yay! I was worried about this workout, but once I got going, I figured I could finish it. Not quite negative splits (mile 4, which is the turnaround mile, was just a little slower than mile 3), but I'm happy with it.

Friday: rest
FINALLY. 57+ miles, three workouts and a long run between rest days is a lot for me.

Saturday: 10.25 miles, 9:53 pace, Saucony Zealot
Target: 10 miles, long
I knew this run would probably be a little quicker than most of my long runs, and I was okay with that. On Saturday, the Akron Marathon organized its annual "Blue Line Training Run" where you run the "blue line," which marks the marathon course. There were 12-mile and 20-mile routes, and while I could have done 12 miles, my schedule said 10 and I am trying to follow it as best I can. I stopped running at 10 miles, but then the walk back to the car was getting long so I started jogging again. It was nice to run with 300 other people. The last three miles were progressively faster (9:45, 9:34, 9:11), and they felt good. There was also 500+ feet of elevation gain, which is kind of nice. I'm shaking up my long runs this time (as opposed to running them all on the towpath), and I like it.

Sunday: 5 miles, 10:28 pace, Newton Fate
Target: 5 miles, easy
Instead of trying to figure out where to meet some friends during their long run, we just ran in Kent. I wanted pancakes yesterday, but Fred's Diner was packed; I got my pancakes this morning (not as good as Fred's though). About the run itself: I love a naturally run negative split (first mile around 11, last mile under 10). I felt fine, although I probably should have worn my calf sleeves. (I'm packing them for Monday's workout.)

Upcoming week:

  • Monday: 10-11 miles with 4x1.5M repeats at 10k pace with 800m jog recovery
    --> this is a SCARY workout
  • Tuesday: 5, easy
  • Wednesday: 9 miles with 6 miles at HM pace
    --> I've done it before, I can do it again, right?!
  • Thursday: 5, easy
  • Friday: rest
  • Saturday: 14 miles, long
    --> Might join up with some friends who are running 20+ miles on the Akron Marathon course
  • Sunday: 6 miles, easy

No comments: