Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Negative Splits! AKA 5x1000 Workout Recap

I had the BEST workout last night.

I had 5x1000s on the schedule, and this was the second time for this workout, which means I knew I could do it again. I decided to do it (again) on a bike & hike. It was warm out (mid80s), but the humidity was under 50%. I warmed up for 1.5 miles and then moved into the workout, which 1000 meters at 8:21 to 8:42 pace with 600-meter jogging recovery, repeat five times.

First repeat: 8:30 pace

That was hard, but doable. Just four more to go. I did my recovery jog and headed into the second repeat: 8:28 pace. As I recovered, I just told myself that all I had to do was get through the third one and I could turn around. I started the third one. Ugh! Hill, road to cross, turnaround. Another 8:28 pace.

Just two more. They felt HARD. I set up my watch to beep when I was off pace, and it beeped way more. BECAUSE I WAS GOING FASTER THAN THE PRESCRIBED PACE.

Fourth repeat: 8:22

I recovered and told myself, "Just one more, just get through it and you jog it in."

Fifth repeat: 8:17 pace → faster than prescribed, and I wasn't quite dead. I think I had another repeat in me.

I jogged in the run for 8 miles at an overall 10:05 pace. Not only did I hit the paces for my repeats, I negative-split them.

I did this workout for the first time on 7/13, and I hit the paces as well. I did not negative-split, however, and I remember it being more of a struggle.

July 13
Aug 3
Average
8:35
8:25
Repeat 1
8:33
8:30
Repeat 2
8:24
8:28
Repeat 3
8:41
8:28
Repeat 4
8:37
8:22
Repeat 5
8:40
8:17

I just need to remember this workout when I think I can't do something. The humidity clearly affects me, and I need to remember that. I'm hoping for lower humidity tomorrow night when I attempt my pace workout. After last week's fail, I am hoping this one goes much better. Five miles at pace is intimidating, although it shouldn't be -- I'm hoping to do 13.1 miles at that pace, so 5 should be easy, right?

No comments: