Tuesday, August 12, 2014

NFIM Training - Week 5

This is a bit of a down week and also my first week with any sort of workout. Here goes!

(I'm drafting this post and updating it periodically throughout the week instead of recapping everything at once. I'm hoping I'll include more info that will be useful to future me.)

Goal: 39 miles, ins & outs workout (7 miles), 14-mile long run
Reality: 39.83 miles, workout and long run accomplished as prescribed

Monday:
Distance: 5 miles
Time & Pace: 56 minutes, 11:12 pace
Shoes: Nike Terra Kigers

Monday was the last night of our summer trail mixers. Most of the group planned to go longer, so I turned around with another woman at the 2.5-mile mark. I knew I had a workout to do the next morning, so I didn't want to kill myself. It was an easy trail run. The bridle trail at Bedford Reservation is pretty kind, very runnable, although there is a new mountain bike trail that is more difficult. There were a lot of bikers out so it didn't seem wise to do a group run on the trail.

Tuesday: Workout
Distance: 7 miles
Time & Pace: 1:09:47, 9:58 pace
Shoes: Saucony Kinvara 5

This was my first workout for this training cycle! It's called an "in & out," and the purpose is to train you to recover at your marathon pace. Because I don't really have a time goal, we're using 9:40 as my marathon pace (sub-4:15). This was my first one so it wasn't too long.

Miles 1-3: warmup in 31-something. Funny thing. I started on the Towpath at Mustill Store. I started with 1 mile south and planned to go 3 down to Big Bend and then back. Unfortunately the Towpath is closed between Mustill and Memorial, so after my first mile, I had to hop in the car and go to Memorial Parkway. Glad it was in the middle of the warmup and not during the workout.

Mile 4: 9:07 (goal 9:10)
Mile 5: 9:39 (goal 9:40)
Mile 6: 9:09 (goal 9:10)

Mile 7: 9:55 cooldown

I can only say that the workout was a success, right? I had a lot of trouble finding the paces, and I just let my watch tell me what to do. I hope that gets easier. The Akron portion of the Towpath isn't quite as flat as Brecksville, but it's fine (it's a little hilly going toward downtown).

Tuesday: 5k Group
Distance: 1.5 miles
Time & Pace: doesn't really matter
Shoes: New Balance 890

Wednesday: HM Group
Distance: 6 miles (2 before group, 4 w/ group on the hill)
Time & Pace: 58 minutes, 9:58 pace)
Shoes: Newton Distance III

I felt pretty good during this run, but I didn't push the pace at all.

Thursday: off

Friday: Easy Run
Distance: 3.25 miles
Time & Pace: 32:50, 10:06 pace
Shoes: Adidas Glide Boosts

I was definitely sluggish on this run, but I warmed up and finished feeling okay.

Saturday: 5k Group
Distance: 3 miles
Time & Pace: 33 minutes, 11 pace
Shoes: New Balance 890

I ran the turnaround sign out for the half group beforehand, and then I ran with the 5k group. All was well.

Sunday: Long Run
Distance: 14 miles
Time & Pace: 2:19, 9:55 pace
Shoes: Saucony Kinvara

It was a little humid that morning, but I felt okay. I stayed under 10-minute pace for the last 5 miles, so that's good. I wasn't trying to do much but finish the run feeling okay. Mission accomplished.

No comments: