Tuesday, July 15, 2014

NFIM Training - Week 1

I have a marathon training plan! And last week was my first week "following" it. I use quotes because I technically overdid it.

Week 1

Goal: 35 miles, no workouts, 10-mile long run
Reality: 38.5 miles, 1 workout and 1 race, 13.1-mile long run

On Tuesday, I did six quarter-mile repeats (1:57, 1:55, 1:56, 1:55, 1:57, 1:50 -- pretty consistent, eh?), and I did a 5k on Sunday (25:48, which is a new PR). Friday's long run ended up being a little longer than prescribed, partly because I wanted to run to the end of the Freedom Trail.

My long run was slow (13.1 in 2:14). I felt okay, but I couldn't seem to push through and drop the pace much. I think it was a negative-split, though, and I know the last few miles were a little quicker. I ran in the neighborhood to the Bike & Hike/Freedom Trail, which I took to the Portage County line. And then I turned around and went home. It's a much hillier route than I usually do for long runs, so it's not surprising that I was tired.

I promised my coach I'd be on point this week. I didn't tell him that I'd already considered doing a longer run than scheduled. Since he kind of almost reprimanded me (I got a pass because this is Week 1), I'll do my best not to screw up this week.

Week 2's goals are 37 miles with a 12-mile long run. We're going to a scooter rally on Friday, so hitting 37 miles seems rather tricky. Lots of miles in five days. I did a 5-mile trail run last night and then another 5 miles (2.25 on trails) this morning. I have my 5k training group tonight, so I'll get a mile there. I might try to get some extra as well. I'm planning 8 miles tomorrow (4 before work and 4 at the pub run). That leaves me with 6 on Thursday (ugh -- probably should aim to get in a few extra miles tonight) and 12 on Friday with Saturday and Sunday off.

This week is VOLUME, I guess. I am feeling tired though. Over 77 miles in July thus far.

No comments: