Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Mile Repeat Fail

Up and early this morning for pilates (I should really try not to be so tense), so I thought I'd do a speed workout afterward. I programmed my watch last night and planned to do three mile-repeats under 8:45 pace. That didn't work.
  1. I was tired, and I was cold. 
  2. After 1 mile, I was still cold, but I started on the first mile repeat anyway. It clocked in around 8:50. 
  3. My 3-minute rest didn't appear (clearly I screwed up something when I programmed my watch) so the watch was yelling at me to speed up when I was trying to recover.
  4. I gave up on the workout and figured I was tired and covering 6 miles is better than nothing. 
So I ended up with 6.23 miles at a 9:57 pace, which is fine. It isn't the workout planned. I'll try again Thursday night, I think. Tonight is our 5k group's halfway celebration and tomorrow is a hill run for the half-marathon group.

I'm trying not to think about how I couldn't hold pace this morning. I know I'm tired, and I was underfueled for the workout too. I know this. It'll be fine.

(Failed workouts really frighten me when I think about marathon training. I was talking to my boss who is going to help me with my marathon plan, and one of the workouts kind of scared me. And multiple 20-milers scared me too, but I think mentally I need to cover that distance more than once. Yes, the ultimate goal is just to finish my first marathon, but I really don't want to run for 5 hours.)

No comments: