Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Review: The Dinner


The Dinner
The Dinner by Herman Koch

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This book is certainly a commentary on society and privilege and class. And caste. I'm glad I finished it, but I'm not really sure I would recommend it to anyone. I'm not sure any of the characters is likable or relatable (I acknowledge that if I had kids, I may feel a differently).

I don't want to spoil anything because there is mystery in the book. The book jumps around in time, but sticks with the same (horrible) narrator. There was one thing I really hated, and that was the narrator repeatedly saying things like "I'm not going to tell you that." It was annoying device - I'm not sure if the book was supposed to read as a confession or potential confession or what, but I don't really care for this "I know something and won't tell you" thing.

View all my reviews

No comments: