Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Running Quiz

I ran Monday (intervals) and yesterday (trails instead of going to yoga) and I'm running tonight. And possibly tomorrow. My hamstring is a little cranky so I'm going to take it easy tonight. And I should go to yoga tomorrow.

I love how blog is just thought vomit. Anyhow, I have nothing to say, so I thought I'd fill out the running quiz that's going 'round.

1. FUEL: SHOT BLOKS, GU, ENERGY CHEWS, CANDY OR OTHER?
I stick mostly with Gu gels, although I have a few Hammer and Clif ones. Gummy stuff like jelly beans or Shot Bloks are just gross – no thank you.

2. RACE LENGTH: 5K, 10K, 1/2 MARATHON, MARATHON, ULTRA OR OTHER?
Still working on what I would consider my favorite race length. I’ve never done a marathon or anything longer, so I can’t really comment on those. HMs are nice because they require training, but shorter ones are cool because you can just kinda do them. Right now, I’d said my favorite lengths are 4- to 5-milers. 

3. WORKOUT BOTTOMS: SKIRTS, RUNNING SHORTS, CAPRIS, PANTS OR OTHER?
I hate bottoms. I really like my Brooks shorts (but man do they photograph terribly – or maybe that’s my chubby legs that photograph terribly!). I want to try Brooks capris since I like the rest of their gear so much. My Saucony capris used to be great, but they’re a little big in the waist now, which doesn’t really work for compression gear.

4. SPORTS DRINK: GATORADE, POWERADE, CYTOMAX, YOU STICK TO WATER WHEN YOU RUN OR OTHER?
Water when I run. Whatever’s offered during races. Nuun pre- and/or post-run. Sometimes Gatorade post-run in the summer after long runs. 

5. RUNNING TEMPERATURES: HEAT OR COLD?
I probably perform better when it’s cold, but if I’m acclimated, I’d rather run when it’s warmer out. Sweating is fun!

6. RUNNING SHOE BRANDS: SAUCONY, MIZUNO, NIKE, BROOKS, ASICS OR OTHER?
I love my Brooks PureFlow shoes. I used to run in the Saucony Mirage shoes (which actually I’m doing right now because I can’t afford to buy shoes and my Brooks are nearing the end of their life), but I prefer the larger toebox and lighter feel of the PureFlows. I’m thinking about trying something even lighter – if the toebox is still roomy.

7. PRE-RACE MEAL: OATMEAL, BAGEL, BANANA, EGGS, CEREAL OR OTHER?
I used to just eat a Clif mini and/or Honey Stinger waffle, but late this summer, I started experimenting with English muffins and peanut butter – seems to be a winner.

8. REST DAYS: 1X PER WEEK, 2X PER WEEK, NEVER EVER EVER OR OTHER?
Still working on that. I’m not actually training for anything right now, and I’m ending up with two or three rest days, although it’s only three if I go out of town for the weekend. I’m typically running four to five days a week.

9. MUSIC: HAVE TO HAVE IT OR GO WITHOUT IT?
Music isn’t a must-have, although I do run with my iPod Shuffle about half the time. If I’m going to be by myself and it’s daylight, I probably have the Shuffle. If it’s dark or I’m with others, I don’t use it. 

10. #1 REASON FOR RUNNING: STRESS-RELIEF, ENDORPHINS,  YOU LOVE TO RACE, SO YOU CAN EAT ALL THE CUPCAKES YOU WANT, WEIGHT-LOSS, LOVE RUNNING FOR SOCIAL REASONS OR OTHER?
I started running because it was simple. Now I run because I’m afraid to lose what I've gained. I still have so far to go. I also like the social aspect that's developed. And I love trail-running – pushing myself, being outside, etc.

11. MORNING, MIDDAY OR EVENING RUNNER?
I rarely have the opportunity to run mid-day, but if I worked from home, I'd probably do that a lot for my mid-week runs. I guess I'm an evening runner since I'm just not a morning person. Saturday group runs are mornings – when there's other people waiting for you, it's easier to get up.

12. I WON’T RUN OUTSIDE WHEN IT’S...
I’m not a diehard runner, so if it’s really shitty out – storming, heavy snow, etc. – and it’s a solo run, I’ll reschedule or take it inside. If it’s a group run, of course I’ll tough it out.

13. WORST INJURY & HOW I GOT OVER IT.  
I haven’t had a running-related issue that required more than a day or two off. Crossing fingers… 

14. I FELT MOST LIKE A BADA** MOTHER RUNNER WHEN…
I was running with the group for a horrendous five miles in a snowstorm.

15. POTENTIAL RUNNING GOALS FOR 2013.  
PR the half-marathon. And hopefully do a 5k that starts with a 27 instead of a 28 or 29! (And maybe, just maybe, the Bobcat Marathon.)

No comments: