Friday, February 10, 2012

Review: The Road


The Road
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Clearly, I have a thing for dystopian novels, but what gets me is that they all seem to be about what happens after, not how it happened. The Road, like the others, starts out after the fact.

A side note: Oryx and Crake did a better job of explaining how things progressed to the Snowman.

Storytelling is good, but the book desperately needed an editor. Things beyond "voice" needed cleaned up (btw, passive voice here is intentional). I also thought some of the word choices were pretentious. Honestly I was glad that I was reading via the Kindle app.

I did think the book went on a little long, and I admit that there were some tears. I have trouble relating to situations like this because I don't think I would have the fortitude to carry on if the world, as I know it, ends.

View all my reviews

No comments: