Sunday, October 04, 2015

Weekly Recap: Week 16 of Half-Marathon Training with Hansons

With three weeks to go, this is kind of a peak week (although it's similar to the last peak week that kicked my ass; at least I don't have to do speedwork, just the pace run this time). I'm trying to focus on rest and recovery as best I can.

I ended up with roughly 49 miles (50 scheduled) and a few of those were walks. I had about 45 running miles. Whatever - my goal was to hit my pace run and my long run, and I accomplished both of those. Thrilled with that. 

Monday: 8 miles, 10:34 pace, Saucony Kinvara 6
Target: 5 miles, easy
Nice and easy. Plus, a little longer since I knew I wasn't do the SOS workout this week.

Tuesday: 3.6 TM miles before work, 11:40 pace, Newton Fate
Target: 10 miles with 4x1.5
I had after-work plans (dog running orientation!), so I wanted to get in what I could beforehand. It was raining and there was a recent sexual assault in my neighborhood (that happened at 6:45 am), so I just hopped on the treadmill for an episode of Buffy. I had hoped to get in a couple of miles after work with a dog at the shelter, but orientation went too long. Soon though!

Wednesday: 10 miles with 7 at 8:48 pace, Saucony Kinvara 5
Target: 5 miles, easy
FINALLY. I had a good pace run. The rest and the temps combined, and I was able to run pretty well. My slowest mile was 9:00 flat, and I didn't feel like I was dying. I took a gel about halfway through. In fact, my overall pace was 9:15 or so, my warmup and cooldown miles were quicker than usual, and I could have kept up the pace longer. This was a confidence-building run that was desperately needed.

Thursday: 1.4-mile walk at lunch, 2.25-mile run after work
Target: 10 miles with 7 at HM pace
Apparently I don't follow my training plan anymore. This should have been a 5-mile easy run, but when you're running dogs, you do what you can. We just started volunteering at a local pet rescue, and it's so fun. Expect more dogs!

Friday: 2.5-mile walk, Saucony Triumph
I wanted to run 3-4 miles before work, but I was so tired. It's more important for me this week to hit the key workouts rather than the specified mileage.

Saturday: 15 miles, 10:22 pace, Newton Fate
Target: 14 miles, long
The weather was atrocious (low 40s, rain), but the run went well. I met a couple of friends for two miles before meeting the group (which wasn't there - lots of bailing due to the weather). Then I ran 13. I added a mile to up my overall mileage for the week. Negative splits (first 7 at 10:44, last 8 at 10:04), and I felt decent. Gels at 5 and 10. I had a Clif Recovery drink waiting in the car, so I drank that on the way home.

Sunday: 6 miles, 10:15 pace, Saucony Kinvara 6
Target: 6 miles, easy 
The weather was much better for Sunday's run. 6 easy miles felt pretty good.

Upcoming week:
Officially in the home stretch. Scheduled mileage is 44, but I might take it a little lower than that. Plus, there will be a dog-running day in there, so that will affect my mileage. On Saturday, I have a 4.4-mile trail race, so I might do a few miles beforehand for my long run. Alternatively I may run 8 on Sunday.

  • Monday: 6x1M repeats 
  • Tuesday: 7 miles, easy
  • Wednesday: 8 miles with 5 at HM pace
  • Thursday: 6 miles, easy
  • Friday: rest
  • Saturday: 8 miles, easy
  • Sunday: 5 miles, easy

No comments: