Monday, October 26, 2015

Training Recap - 10/19 through 10/25

This was a recovery week, so there really wasn't much going on. I have the Home Run for the Homeless 4-mile race on Thanksgiving, and I would like to do well on it. For that to happen, I need to recover this week (and probably next).

(I also have the second Munroe Falls trail race on Nov. 7, and I hope I will do better than the first one since I didn't push too hard then.)

  • Mileage: 13
  • Strength: 1
  • Stretching/Myrtl: 5

Monday: rest
I skipped the Myrtl routine after the race (and the shakeout run, I think), but when I got home from Columbus, I made sure to do some stretching, Myrtl routine and legs up the wall.

Tuesday: rest
It was weird not packing my backpack for a post-work run! I went home and made dinner (and did some meal prep as well). I also did some stretching, rolling and the Myrtl routine. My calves are still tight, and there is a pretty good knot in my left calf.

Wednesday: 3.65 miles, 10:22 pace, Saucony Mirage
First run back! If it hadn't been a pub run night, I would have waited until Thursday. Luckily I found some company to take it easy with me. It was a really nice night to run, so I'm glad I was able to get outside. My calves were super-tight, so I skipped the 5-mile route. Calves loosened up, and the giant knot seems to be gone.

Also of note: I wore my new Saucony Mirage 5 for the first time. I envision this being more of a long-run shoe, but I wanted to test it out. I don't normally run with any stability so I was a little apprehensive. It's a lightweight guidance shoe with a 4mm drop, and the posting didn't bother me at all. So far, so good.

Thursday: 2.15 miles running dogs, Saucony Zealot (blue)
We took out two 10-month-old bulldog mix puppies, so "running" is subjective. It was definitely a jog/walk, which was perfect for me. (Calves generally felt okay, but my hips are still tight.) We wore those adorable pups out though! I can't imagine they'll be at the shelter for too long. When we left, one of these was meeting a family, so hopefully that worked out!



Friday: 2.15-mile lunchtime walk, Saucony Triumph
It was mid-50s and sunny, so I figured a lunchtime walk was in order. My right calf/lower hamstring was pulling, which nixed any thoughts of trying to run fast this weekend.

Saturday: 5.1 miles, 10:23 pace, Saucony Mirage + strength (!!!)
I slept in, which was glorious. It would have been a nice morning to join my friends for a trail run, but a) I wanted to sleep in and b) I didn't want to run fast. 5-ish miles around the neighborhood in some very light run followed by stretching and some actual strength work. Maybe I'll get back to it.

Sunday: rest
Another morning to sleep in! I shouldn't get used to this.

Upcoming week:
No plans, although I would like to get the mileage to around 20. I'm looking at a 5k on Saturday morning just to see how my legs move. I would also like to get in a strength session or two. Even a short one is better than nothing, right?

  • Monday: easy run + strength
  • Tuesday: dog running (maybe strength here if I didn't Monday)
  • Wednesday: group run
  • Thursday: off (but I could probably fit in a quick strength session)
  • Friday: easy run 
  • Saturday: easy run or 5k
  • Sunday: off

No comments: