Monday, September 28, 2015

Weekly Recap: Week 15 of Half-Marathon Training with Hansons

This week turned into a recovery week, and that's probably okay. I think I was supposed to run 48 miles, and I ended up with 44.5 or so (notice all of those missed targets!). This was my week to reset. I felt really, really tired and beat up.

Monday: 8 miles, easy (10:50 pace), Saucony Kinvara 6
Target: 10 miles with 3x2M at 10k pace
I went into this run knowing that I might not be ready to do the workout. After the warmup -- where my both of my calves were hurting -- I tried the first repeat. I went about a quarter-mile and then killed the workout. I figured I could try again on Tuesday. Otherwise, the weather was great and my calves eventually loosened up. But man, the body is hurting right now.

Tuesday: 8 miles with 2-miles at 8:43, .5 mile at 8:46, 1 mile at 8:56, Saucony Kinvara 5
Target: 7 miles, easy
I suspected that the speedwork wouldn't go well, so I don't know if it was a self-fulfilling prophesy or if I was really tired. I started the second repeat and just felt like I couldn't do it -- so I quit. I figured I would run easy and then do a pace mile and then call it. No more speedwork this week. I need to take it easy.

Wednesday: 8 miles, 10:34 pace, Saucony Zealot (pink)
Target: 10 miles with 7 at HM pace
After Monday and Tuesday, I decided that I would just run easy Wednesday and Thursday and try to run Saturday's run at pace. My Hansons coach told me to just run easy until Oct. 1 when we'll return to workouts, so I guess Saturday's run will just be at my typical long run pace. I should end up close on my prescribed distance. For Wednesday's run, I hit the Bike & Hike and some of the neighborhoods. Apparently there must be a rule that you are required to buy a house WAY TOO BIG for you and your family.

Thursday: 5 miles, 13:00 pace, Saucony Zealot (blue)
Target: 6 miles, easy
For my fourth solo run of the week, I ended up running from home because I couldn't bear to run near work again. I thought I'd do 8 and then just decided to do whatever. I ran the long way to the park, 3 miles on trails and then home. I walked a lot.

Friday: rest
Target: rest

Saturday: 10.35 miles, 10:03 pace (negative splits/progression run), Saucony Zealot (pink)
Target: 10 miles, long
We were in Columbus for our scooter club's annual rally, so I didn't get much sleep Friday night. Regardless, Aaron and I were up and out the door before 8 for a run. We took the long way to the Olentangy trail. I ran about 5.5 with Aaron and then the last bit solo. I felt pretty decent (for the first time in forever) and finished strong with the last mile under 9.

Sunday: 5 miles, 11:50 pace, Newton Fate
Target: 5 miles, easy
I definitely was tired yesterday evening when I went out to get in this run. Again, I ran locally with about 3 miles on trails. I felt okay, just tired (better than last Thursday). 

Upcoming week: 
Peak week (which is actually kind of repeating the week before last) is upon us! Below is the schedule, but Coach Katie says no workouts until Oct. 1 (although I might switch Wednesday and Thursday).

  • Monday: 5 miles, easy
  • Tuesday: 10 miles with 4x1.5
  • Wednesday: 5 miles, easy
  • Thursday: 10 miles with 7 at HM pace
  • Friday: rest
  • Saturday: 14 miles, long
  • Sunday: 6 miles, easy 

No comments: