Monday, September 14, 2015

Weekly Recap: Week 13 of Half-Marathon Training with Hansons

I was supposed to be out of town Wednesday afternoon through Sunday, but the addition of Big Gray to the household has changed things. I'm pretty bummed, and I was definitely looking forward to running 10 miles in Chicago on Saturday morning.

I ended up with 47 miles, but I just don't feel great about this week. Struggling so much on Thursday's run overshadows Tuesday's relatively successful workout, I guess. One thing I'm noticing is how sick I am of out-and-back runs. I do a lot of runs on the Towpath and the Bike & Hike, especially workouts because I'm looking for some flatter territory, but man, I'm tiring of them.

Monday: 7 miles, 10:46 pace, Saucony Zealot (pink)
Target: 7 miles, easy
I ran with a friend for 5.5 easy miles and then finished up solo. I felt okay, if maybe a bit sluggish. I considered doing Tuesday's workout, but I was tired and no one else wanted to run that long.

Tuesday: 10 miles with 3 2M repeats averaging 8:36, Saucony Kinvara 5
Target: 10 miles with 3x2M at 10k pace with 800m jog rest
It was in the 90s again, so I planned to do the workout on the treadmill even though 10 miles on the treadmill is awful (plus, I think I'm more conservative when I run on the treadmill). I did the first two repeats without issue, but the possessed treadmill reappeared for the third repeat. Ultimately I went outside for the third repeat and the cooldown. Running fast in the neighborhood is such a pain. I'm pleased with this workout even with the issues. Post-run, I had some pain in my left inner upper ankle (is that a thing?). I iced.

Wednesday: 6 miles, 10:40 pace, Saucony Zealot (blue)
Target: 6 miles, easy
Not much to say about the weekly group run. Ran with a couple of guys, took it nice and easy. Toward the end of the run, I felt the same pain as Tuesday.

Thursday: 8 miles with 5 at 9:07 pace, Saucony Kinvara 6
Target: 9 miles with 6 at HM pace
I was supposed to meet a friend for this run, but he got caught in traffic. I struggled so much through the first 2.5 pace miles that I decided 5 pace miles was good enough. (It wasn't. I should have pushed through.) Because this run wasn't great, I'll be revamping Saturday's run. I wore a compression sock on my right foot, and I didn't have any pain. On the plus side, the first three miles were at a 9:09 average and the last two were at a 9:04.

Friday: rest

Saturday: 11 miles, 10:23 pace, Newton Fate
Target: 10 miles, easy
I added a mile to make up for Thursday, but that's the only thing I really did here, aside from trying out the Fates for a longer run. I had Aaron drop me off further down the Bike & Hike and then met up with him. There were thoughts of a progression run, but that didn't happen. I ran 4 solo, 6 with Aaron and then my last mile solo. I managed to drop the pace to 9:14 for the last mile at least.

Sunday: 5 miles, 10:13 pace, Saucony Triumph
Target: 5 miles, easy
Nothing to speak of here except that I had a lovely negative split. First mile was 11 and the last mile was 9:18. It was pretty chilly, so it took me awhile to warm up. I pulled out the Triumphs, and I'm still not sure about them. They have roughly 25 miles on them.

Upcoming Week (50 miles!):
Looks a little daunting. I made plans to do Tuesday's workout with a friend, so hopefully I can just follow her and get it done. Wednesday is a pub run, so that should be fun. I'm trying not to think too much about Thursday's pace run, but I do need to figure out where I should do that run.
  • Monday: 5, easy
  • Tuesday: 10 miles with 2x3M repeats at 8:45
  • Wednesday: 5, easy
  • Thursday: 10 miles with 7 at 9:09
  • Friday: rest
  • Saturday: 14 miles
  • Sunday: 6 miles, easy

No comments: