Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Weekly Recap: Week 12 of Half-Marathon Training with Hansons

Another big week of training, but with this program, they're all big weeks. Cutback weeks and/or reductions in the long-run mileage still include workouts. The SmartCoach programs from Runners World have weeks built in that are all just easy runs. I've talked with others about our concerns with that (the cut seems too extreme), but I do see the benefits in a week of just easy runs -- could help with recovery (mental and physical).

ANYHOW, back to my week.

It got hot again, which led to treadmill runs and moving my pace miles to my long run. That was my idea that was fully backed by the Hansons coach who's working with me. I ended up with just over 49 miles, and I can't really say the week was all that successful.

Monday: 10 TM with 4 1.5-mile repeats (8:30, 8:36, 8:30, 8:29), Saucony Kinvara 6
Target: 10+ miles with 4x1.5M repeats at 10k pace with 800m jog recovery
The run should have been 11 miles, but I cut the warmup and cooldown to 1 mile each because 11 miles on the treadmill just seemed crazy. (If I'd known I was going to be .68 miles from reaching 200 miles in August, I would have added on here.) High 80s are back, so I opted to do this run on the treadmill. My basement treadmill does not become obsessed unless you're adjusting the speed often, so the longer repeats worked just fine. I deliberately slowed own for the second repeat because I didn't think I'd be able to complete the workout with 1.5 miles at an 8:30 pace. Maybe I could have.

Tuesday: 5.15 miles in an hour, Saucony Zealots (blue)
Target: 5, easy 
To maximize the time before my next workout, I ran before work, which means there were fewer than 12 hours after finishing Monday's workout and doing this run. Oh well. Not much to say. I was tired, my right calf was a little cranky after Monday's run so I wore my calf sleeves. I really wish I felt more energetic on pre-work runs.

Wednesday: 9 miles, 11:07 pace, Saucony Zealots (pink)
Target: 9 miles, easy
--> originally supposed to be 9 miles with 6 at HM pace
I am so glad I decided to move the pace miles to Saturday's run. It was hot and humid, and clearly I struggled throughout the 9 miles. I was doing okay. I refilled my water and took a gel at the turnaround, and then on the way back, a couple of people stopped me for some directions. And after that, I couldn't stay going. Lots of stopping. I'm not sure why it went quite so poorly, but moving on.

Thursday: 5 TM miles, 11:56 pace, Saucony Zealots (blue)
Target: 5, easy 
To maximize my time Thursday night, I ran before work again. (That means I finished Wednesday's run at 7:45 pm and started Thursday's run at 5:45 am.) Not much to talk about. I started out walking and then slowly jogged. Legs are TIRED.

Friday: rest

Saturday: 14 miles with 5 at 9:11 pace, 10:14 pace overall, Saucony Kinvara 5
Target: 14 miles with 6 at 9:09 pace
--> originally supposed to be a simple 14-mile long run
I got to the trail before my friends so I got in 4 miles and then met up with the group who was doing 9. I thought I might be able to get one or two people to run the pace miles with me, but they all wanted to run easy. So I ran 2 with them and then moved into my pace miles. After the turnaround, I really started to struggle. I passed the group at its turnaround and my motivation practically vanished. After I hit finished the fifth pace mile, I started on the sixth and then just gave up. I stopped and waited for the group to catch up to me, and then I just ran it in. I'm disappointed in myself for not finishing the workout, but that was tough. I didn't hate throwing the pace miles in though.

Sunday: 6 miles, 11:45 pace, Newton Fate
Target: 6 miles, easy
Aaron and I just ran from the house because we had guests: 3 to the park, 2 on trails, 1 home. Not much to talk about here.

No comments: