Sunday, August 23, 2015

Weekly Recap: Week 10 of Half-Marathon Training with Hansons

After the Parkersburg half, I wasn't sure what to do. I've committed more than two months to this program already, I should just see it through. (I don't know what else to do!)

I ended up with 45 miles for the week and feeling tired. I'm a little intimated by next week's workouts, but I'm trying not to think about it too much.

Monday: 5 miles, treadmill, 11:09 pace, Saucony Zealot
Target: 5 miles, easy
The weather was annoying -- first, super-hot and then pouring rain -- so I just took it to the treadmill. Not much to say about the run. I started out very slowly and increased each mile, finishing with a 9:56 mile.

Tuesday: 5 miles, 10:30 pace, Saucony Zealot
Target: 5 miles, easy
I was originally going to do my speedwork Tuesday, but my coach recommended another easy day, which went well. I love natural negative splits.

Wednesday: 8 miles, 10x400s under 8:42 pace, Saucony Kinvara 6
Target: 8 miles with 10x400s
This was just sad: All of my friends were at the pub run (45 minutes away), while I did this. Plus, this workout was kind of a disaster, so I'm really proud of myself for getting it done. It was 90 degrees, so I headed for the treadmill. At the start of the fourth repeat, the treadmill decided 12 mph was more appropriate. I jumped off, pulled the emergency key and then tried to restart. Before setting a speed, it started increasing. So I decided to finish outside where, of course, it was pouring. The Garmin started acting weird outside, but it was prompting me through the repeats. I know I was under 8:42 for all of the repeats, and I know the last one was 8:12 pace or so. When I got home, it wouldn't upload, and then the Garmin would restart. Eventually I ran the Garmin dead and am hoping that fixes it for awhile.

I'm disappointed that I don't have my splits to compare to the last time I did 400s. However, I felt noticeably stronger, and I think the three days of easy runs after the half were a good idea.

Thursday: off

Friday: 8 miles with 5 at 9:07, 9:05, 8:55, 8:58, 8:50, Saucony Kinvara 6
Target: 8 miles with 5 at pace
Super-happy with this. I had a show in the afternoon, Aaron bailed on the run and I just didn't really feel that way. I bargained with myself the entire time, but I got the workout done, on pace.

Saturday: 6 miles, 11:07 pace, Saucony Zealot
Target: 6 miles, easy
Done Saturday morning, this was tough. I just went with the easy pace (the second half was quicker than the first at least).

Sunday: 13 miles, 10:33 pace, Saucony Zealot
Target: 12 miles, long
Taking it easy Saturday was the right decision because I felt pretty decent for the long run. 12 was scheduled, but we planned our route to do a loop and miscalculated a bit. 505 feet of elevation gain, but the last two miles were downhill and I was able to get my legs moving better then. Happy with this run.

Upcoming Week (45 miles):

  • Monday: 5 miles, easy
  • Tuesday: 10.5 miles with 6x1 mile at 10k pace with 400m jog rest
  • Wednesday: 6 miles, easy
  • Thursday: 9 miles with 6 at half-marathon pace
  • Friday: off (back to Fridays off, which means I'll have seven days in a row)
  • Saturday: 10 miles, long
  • Sunday: 5 miles, easy

No comments: