Tuesday, September 16, 2014

NFIM Training - Weeks 9 and 10

Oops! I'm losing interest in recapping, but I am still doing this thing.

Week 9

Goal: 43 miles, no workout, 18-mile long run, sub-2 half-marathon
Reality: 42.8 miles, no workout, 18-mile long run, 2:03 half-marathon

Monday: Easy Run
Distance: 6 miles
Time & Pace: 59:22 (9:53)
Shoes: Adidas Glide Boost

Tuesday: Easy Run
Distance: 3 miles
Time & Pace: 28:36 (9:32)
Shoes: Brooks PureFlow 3

Tuesday: 5k Training Group
Distance: 3 miles
Time & Pace: whatever
Shoes: New Balance 890

Wednesday: Mid-Distance Run
Distance: 9 miles
Time & Pace: 1:28 (9:46)
Shoes: Adidas Glide Boost

I ran from the store to meet the group for its 3-mile run. Unfortunately I didn't bring a gel and didn't eat anything beforehand, so the last couple of miles were pretty awful. I got through them (slowly) and was pretty happy overall. The run included a couple of miles on trails so the fact that I kept my pace below 10 (trails and the last 2 miles over 10) is good.

Thursday: Off

Friday: Off

Saturday: 5k Training Group Run
Distance: 3.5 miles
Time & Pace: 45 minutes (12:51)
Shoes: New Balance 890

This was "the hill," I ran up it and then ran/walked down. Not a bad shakeout run.

Sunday: Long Run
Distance: 18 miles
Time & Pace: 2:55:18 (9:44)
Shoes: Saucony Kinvara 5

So the sub-2 didn't happen, but 18 miles at a sub-10 pace is pretty damn good.

A friend and I met to do 5 miles beforehand. That is a LONG warmup. About half of that would have been better. The plan for the half was 9:10 for the first 8 miles and then to drop the pace for the last 5. I totally failed at that. I ended up running the race at a 9:15ish pace, and that is fine by me. I couldn't seem to find another gear, but I was 1 second slower than my PR from May. So solid.

Week 10

Goal: 45 miles, no workout, 20-mile long run
Reality: 45 miles, no workout, 20-mile long run

Monday: Off
I decided a rest day made sense after the effort of the half-marathon and long run.

Tuesday: Easy Run & 5k Training Group Run
Distance: 7 miles
Time & Pace: not sure (sub-10 for the first 4)
Shoes: Brooks PureFlow 2

I met a couple of friends for an easy 4 before the group run. Surprisingly, my legs still worked.

Wednesday: Mid-Distance Run
Distance: 9 miles
Time & Pace: 1:31 (10:06)
Shoes: Brooks PureFlow 3

I was NOT recovered from Sunday, and it was pouring for the first 4 miles or so. AND I did "the hill" although I was not capable of running the entire thing like I usually can. Given Friday's long run, I felt like it was fine to take it easy.

Thursday: Off

Friday: Long Run
Distance: 20 miles
Time & Pace: 3:25 (10:15)
Shoes: Saucony Kinvara 5 (second pair)

Oh.My.Gosh. I was pretty proud of myself for this run. I took it easy, didn't stop much and just kept moving. I did finish with a 9:35 mile, so that's encouraging. I truly felt like, if I had to, I could have found another 10k. I am confident that I can complete a marathon. I hope future long runs are as successful.

Saturday: 5k Training Group Goal Race
Distance: 4 miles
Time & Pace: 40ish minutes
Shoes: New Balance 890

What a great morning! I ran with a girl from the group who was doing her first 5k, and we came in under 30 minutes! The course was short, but who cares? Then the other coach and I ran the rest of the group in. It was fantastic!

Side note here: The 890s are dead.

Sunday: Easy Run
Distance: 5 miles
Time & Pace: 49:22 (9:52)
Shoes: Saucony Kinvara 5 (first pair)

We had a wedding Saturday night, so after a family brunch, we headed out for an easy 5 miles. I didn't feel that great (full!) and those Kinvaras are pretty dead (not even 200 miles on them). It's a little depressing that the Kinvaras don't last very long for me, but oh well -- I like 'em.

No comments: