Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Election Day

I voted today. I still get a little thrill when I vote, and that's why I won't use absentee ballots unless I have to. I know it's silly, but I can't help it. It's an important election because of Issue 2, so I'm glad I was able to get out there and vote against it (and for the Akron Public Schools and the Summit DD). Truthfully, I left other items blank. I can't vote on a judge based on whose name I like the best, right?

I also managed to get my lazy ass out of bed and run this morning before work, so I accomplished a lot (for me) before getting to work. I was kind of slow, but I did several hills (which really tax my pug legs). It was a good workout. That, coupled with GOTR tonight will make for a tired Adri.

Sidenote: My right heel has been painful recently. After last Thursday's run, it hurt Thursday and Friday. The pain dissipated, and I didn't even think about it this morning. But it hurt some during the run. While Aaron was showering, I rolled it with a frozen water bottle, which seemed to clear up Aaron's plantar fasciitis pain. I'll roll again tonight and stretch really, really good. God, if my calves aren't acting up, it's something else, I guess.

But the hilly runs are good training for Thanksgiving's hilly 4-miler. I really would like to finish under 40. I'm also doing a 5-mile Turkey Trot this Saturday. I'm curious to see how long I can maintain sub-10-minute miles. Looks like the first half of the course is hilly, so that will hopefully make for negative splits - although I've never really been able to push myself that much. Negative splits happen by accident, although I am usually a pretty consistent runner.

I'm sick of saying it, but my training hasn't been very good since the Towpath Half-Marathon. Each week, I'm barely hitting double-digits in mileage. I need another endurance goal, I guess. I was thinking about doing this 10-mile trail run in early December, but a) I'm not ready and b) I can't afford it. The race itself isn't too pricey, but to really enjoy it, it would involve staying down there. Oh well.

(Don't ask me about strength-training or yoga-ing.)

But there's a half-marathon on St. Patrick's Day - a Saturday! - in Washington DC, and I'm thinking that might be the next half. Aaron's cousin wants to do it. Fees went up 10/31, so I have some time to decide before the next fee hike. Then I'd be well-situated for the Towpath half in the spring (and do the Cleveland 10k because 10ks seem to be rare, and I find that distance interesting).

No comments: