Thursday, January 11, 2007

How did I miss that?

Why do we care about plagiarism? - By Meghan O'Rourke - Slate Magazine: "Ever since it was revealed last month that several passages in Ian McEwan's Atonement closely resemble sections of Lucilla Andrews' World War II memoir, No Time For Romance, critics have debated whether the similarities constitute wholesale 'plagiarism' or mere literary 'discourtesy.'"

How in the hell did I not hear about that? Now I need to compare. I read Atonement a couple of years ago, and I didn't really care for it. If I recall correctly, it started out OK, maybe a little slow, and then slowed way the heck down when he was in the war. But I want to compare the passages!

Did anyone ever read later VC Andrews books? After she was dead and they were ghost-written, I think. Anyhow, they're hysterical because it's always the same incestual plot, AND sometimes the passages are word-for-word the same. It's kind of annoying.

Also, does Angels on Toast get any better? I'm trying to read it, and it's boring me completely.

No comments: